Let’s review the basics. A content management system is a web application that allows you to publish and modify the content of your website using a central interface. Don’t worry. It is a lot less complicated that it sounds. The primary appeal of a content management system is that it allows you to manage your website, even if you do not know how to code.
Think of how easy it is to upload pictures and manage your Facebook profile. There is no coding or scripting involved. You simply log into your Facebook account, and then make seamless changes by clicking your mouse. Well a content management works in the same way, except the changes you make are reflected on your website.
With a CMS, you can upload pictures, videos, post blogs, and accomplish over a dozen other useful things. Unsurprisingly, in the last decade, content management systems have grown to become very popular, with millions of business owners adopting its use for their websites.
So Do you Need a Content Management System?
Absolutely. The benefits offered by a content management system are simply too important to ignore. The following are five good reasons why every website should have a content management system.
- Reliable – A content management system is not the product of just one coder. It is the product of hundreds, who constantly test it to ensure that it is compatible with all the latest technology. This constant evolution ensures that your website is able to stay relevant with emerging trends. For instance, between 2007 and 2012, the web witnessed an increased in mobile surfing. Many companies had to make expensive adjustments to their websites so that it could be seen easily on tablets and mobile devices. However, business owners who already had websites powered by WordPress did not have this problem, because the CMS had already been updated to fit with the emerging trend.
- Multiple Users – When running a business, it helps if you can spread the workload around. For instance, instead of handing all the postings on your website, you can choose the option of working with several writers, an editor and, a publisher. Creating an organized structure is a lot harder with a static website. But with a content management system like Joomla or WordPress, which gives you options for creating multiple accounts, it’s as easy as clicking a button.
- Secure – It makes sense that you would want a secure website for your business. But building a secure website from scratch can be really difficult, especially when you are pressed for time. That is why content management systems are so useful. An incredible amount of effort goes into ensuring that a content management system remains secure. Developers carefully review the security and roll out updates to counter any identified threats before they become issues.
- Expandable Options – One of the many advantages of working with an established content management system like WordPress or Joomla is that you have access to an incredible pool of resources. You can expand the functionality of your site with the use of plugins and add-on. For instance, you can add a comments section, add a calendar, and include a shopping cart among other options. And the best part of all these add-ons is that most of them are free.
- Affordable – From a business angle, working with a content management system is actually a cheaper option. It will cost you less in the long run, if your website is driven by a content management system. And if you are wondering, how do I build my own website, you needn’t bother because with a content management system, you do not need to be familiar with web codes in other to build your website. Just follow some easy to follow tutorials and you’ll be up and running in no time. Instead of relying on developers, you be able to make alterations whenever you want, and you will benefit from the frequent system upgrades.
Choosing a Web Theme
So what is the right fit for your company? You can work with several different content management systems. However, for sheer flexibility, comfort, and variety, WordPress is the easy choice. Initially, designed as a blogging engine, it has grown to become an incredibly powerful content management system, driven by an incredibly friendly user interface. It also has a plethora of themes to choose from to customize the look of your website.
Thanks to sites such as ThemeForest.net, there is no shortage of themes available to you. Themes are generally sorted by category, so if you are a plumber there are many themes specific to your business that you can choose from. Same thing goes from if you are a restaurant owner, there are plenty of custom themes that will match up with the type of cuisine you offer and you will have a professional looking easy to run website.
Married to a loving husband, and the mother of two children, Melissa Cameron is a freelance writer who is passionate about her family and work. She enjoys writing on a wide range of topics, from ‘keeping a green home’ to unravelling the secrets of effective internet market. Melissa Cameron has a dog but waves at cats whenever she has the chance.